Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Notes to Self About Summer Running

The TIART topic this week is about dealing with the heat and humidity while running. It's a topic that could probably be better addressed by someone living in Florida than Northern Minnesota. Here people start whining about 75, are grumpy at 80 and downright surly at 85.

Still, 85 with humidity is a cause for concern when running, and I've learned some lessons the hard way. Like when I was training for my first marathon I went for a long run and didn't hydrate enough. It was 90+ and humid. When I finished, I felt rotten. Really terrible. Pounding headache, nausea, cramps...it was bad. I even thought about heading for the hospital. Instead, I started drinking water. And kept drinking. After two liters I started to feel a little better. After four liters I felt okay. Several hours and 5 liters later I finally had to go to the bathroom.

I don't want to experience that again, so I thought I would jot some notes to myself.

1. Drink, Drink, Drink. In the summer it is a constant battle to take in enough fluids while running. It is next to impossible if you start your run dehydrated. The best strategy for me is to simply keep a glass of ice water on hand and keep sipping throughout the day.

2. Drinking on the Run. Unless it is above 70, I figure I'm good for a 10k without drinking on the run. I'll do 5k without water regardless of the heat. If it is warmer than 70 and I am running more than 5k, I'll plan water stops about every two miles. When I lived in the city, I would stop at parks that had drinking fountains. Living in the country, drinking on the run means that I have to stash water bottles along the road. If it is real hot, I'll freeze them first so that they will be cold when I reach them. I always stop and drink. The few seconds it takes is worth staying hydrated. During hot weather races (and long distance races) I will slow to a walk to make sure that my paper cup of water doesn't end up splashing down my shirt (feels good, but doesn't help).

3. Water or Gatorade? I've always been a water only guy. I've tried Gatorade on a run, but wound up with stomach cramps. I've always been a little suspicious of the marketing hype. Cool commercials, but who is going to spend a fortune countering the claims? I suppose if I was training in some really hot place I would look into it a little more. Until then, water is fine with me.

4. Run Early. Duh. It's cooler in the morning.

5. Run Short. Long runs are partly physical, but much of the discipline is mental. If it's 90 and the day calls for a 15 mile run, I'm not too proud to cut it short. Frankly, I think it takes as much mental toughness to do 10 mile on a hot day as to do 15 on a cool day. Most marathons (Chicago was a recent exception...) are run in cool weather. I don't need to run long distances in hot humid weather to prepare for the conditions I'll be seeing this fall.

6. Remember: Heat Waves are Temporary. They bring their own challenges, but if you look closely, winter is just around the next corner. At least that's the way it is here in the north woods of Minnesota.

2 comments:

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I've fortunately had no trouble with Gatorade, but a friend also gets stomach cramps from it -- she can drink G2, though. That's their new lower-calorie stuff. Maybe give that a try?

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

This is a great list of tips and reminders! Being from Iowa, I know I shouldn't complain about summer - it is all too brief!

Amy
www.runnerslounge.com