Friday, April 11, 2008

How Long Can I Run?

Every year my age ticks up just a little bit. Sometimes I wonder if my increasing age will ever qualify me for a medal in a race. I've never been and probably never will be a fast runner. I'm a definite back of the pack plodder. Still, I have this dream of winning. I think every runner does.

I look around at every race I enter and wonder how many runners are in my age bracket. Can I beat them? Unfortunately, I'm learning that many of the "older" runners are former track or cross country runners whose flawless running form translated into speed as youngsters still translates into speed as they get older. I see too many sweaty grey-haired men sipping Gatorade when I cross the finish line to think that I really have a chance of winning any time soon.

Perhaps if I keep it going long enough I will eventually wear out all of the competition and finally win a race. Winning my age bracket at 80+ is a good goal...and I've got 35 years to work on it.

So watch out rabbits, this turtle is going to win!

No comments: