Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Twin Cities Marathon...in 1989

I ran my third marathon in October of 1989. The Twin Cities Marathon was also my first "large" marathon. Milwaukee wasn't bad and Lake Geneva was small. The TC Marathon is definitely a celebration of running and autumn. Its claim to be the "most beautiful urban marathon" is certainly no idle boast.

After so many years there are a few images that linger in my mind:
  • Even though I grew up in the Twin Cities, I was surprised at just how close the lakes are to downtown Minneapolis. I had run around most of the lakes before and enjoyed the skyline view, but I was surprised by how quickly we reached them from downtown.
  • The aid stations were tremendous. "Chariots of Fire" and "Rocky were blaring from many of the stands. The water station at the 20 mile mark was a giant wall built across the road. It was incredible.
  • My wife cheering me. In a major disappointment, my wife hurt her knee on the final long run in training for the marathon. She was reduced to cheering. Every once in a while I would spy her on the side of the road hollering and clapping. A spectator who has run a marathon feels a special connection to those running past.
  • The fall colors. The trees were absolutely stunning. The river bluffs and mansions were beautiful. It was a spectacular run.
  • Turning the corner and seeing the capitol and the finish line teeming with people.

It was also the only marathon I seriously considered dropping out of. Somewhere around mile 21 my right big toe started to hurt. The first "knuckle" of my toe, where it connects to the foot screamed with every step. I tried walking for a while, but it didn't help. I settled into a survival jog and scanned the crowds for my wife. If I had seen her, I would have called it quits.

Fortunately, she decided to wait at the finish line. Funny, she always seems to know just what to do.

No comments: