Thursday, April 3, 2008

Training Log - April 3

Today I could have worn shorts. It was 45 when I left, but close to 50 when I got back from my 4 mile run up the Scenic.

Once I caught my breath, I stood and listened at the end of the dirt road leading to our house. I heard...nothing. My ears strained to hear the faintest sound and there was nothing to be heard. After a few minutes a distant chickadee sang and then it was quiet again until a slight breeze stirred the branches of the trees.

Nothing is an amazing sound. I don't remember hearing it until I was a teenager. My father and I went to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. I stood there looking out at the lake at the end of the Gunflint Trail and listened. There were no cars, no planes, no music, not even the ticking of a clock.

Nothing.

As an introvert, I think it is a beautiful sound. I don't think people get to hear it often enough. Fortunately, I live in the toolies, and it is a sound I can hear most days just by stepping outside.

Life is good.

No comments: