Saturday, April 5, 2008

Training Log - April 5

How do you decide when simply building and maintaining base mileage ends and the actual training for an event begins? I try to run most of the winter, but I am only dreaming of the races that summer and fall will bring. I cannot say that I am actually training for them.

I remember talking to someone years ago about training for my first marathon. Their first question was whether I had built a running base of at least 20 miles per week. "Unless you've done that, that's where you start" were his words. I had reached that base, and he sketched out a training plan for my first marathon. Ever since then I haven't really considered myself to be training if I am running less than 20 miles per week.

I guess I also have another criteria that I apply to consider when I am actually "in training" rather than just running for general fitness. I consider myself to be "in training"when I am running more than 20 miles per week and my long runs have pushed past the 10k point and are going to be heading up for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I hearby declare that the winter is over and my training for this year's races has begun. Today I pushed past the 6.2 mile mark and ran 6.9 miles. By the end of the month I'll have my long run at 10 miles.

The pursuit of the marathon has officially begun. Only 735 miles of training to go.

Bring it on.

No comments: